Why Bring Your Own Bags?
Single-use plastic bags are environmentally harmful.
• Even when properly disposed of, because of their weight and aerodynamic properties, plastic bags often become litter, clogging storm drains and waterways.
• New Yorkers use 9.37 billion carryout bags per year, the vast majority of which are not recycled.
• Plastic bags account for over 1,700 tons of residential garbage per week in NYC on average.
Plastic bags cost the public money.
• Each year, New York City pays an estimated $12.5 million to transport 91,000 tons of plastic bags to landfills in other states.
• Shopping bags jam expensive machinery at recycling plants and contaminate the recycling stream, increasing costs.
Tips for a Plastic Purge!
1. Bring your own reusable totes, produce bags, and containers (great for fish and delicate produce) while shopping at Greenmarkets.
2. Say ‘no thank you’ if you are offered a plastic bag, or ask for a paper bag.
3. Carry a few extra reusable bags with you at all times.
4. If you forget to BYOB, you can purchase reusable tote bags and produce bags at most Greenmarket Market Information tents.
5. Collect your food scraps in resuable containers before dropping off at a food scrap collection location.
6. Go #foamfree and quit using styrofoam for good. Learn more here.
Instagram Contest on the @unsqgreenmarket Account!
We invite our followers to participate in a Plastic Cleanse social media contest! We know that single use bags are environmentally harmful. In NYC alone, they generate about 1700 tons of residential garbage on a weekly basis. We’re here to encourage you to make a difference and join our annual Plastic Cleanse. Show us how you shop plastic-free at the Greenmarket!
Photos can be taken at market or at home, we want to see how you avoid using plastic while shopping. Two winners will receive a gift card to a restaurant that supports the Greenmarket and will be regrammed by the @unsqgreenmarket accounts.
Take a photo and post it to your Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook account of your plastic-free shopping supplies before heading to market, a plastic-free interaction at market, or of your plastic-free market haul after shopping.
Tag @unsqgreenmarket and hashtag #GMKTnyc #PlasticCleanse to enter
Dates to enter are 4/3 - 4/30/18.
GrowNYC and Greenmarket staff, volunteers, farm staff, or farmers, or family members are not eligible to win.
Open to NYC residents. Contest ends at 11:59:59 PM ET on 4/30/18.
On 5/1/18, GrowNYC will pick 2 winners at random to receive a gift card to a local restaurant that shops at the Greenmarket.
Learn more about GrowNYC’s sustainability efforts: