Making New Year’s resolutions is a relatively easy thing to do; keeping them, on the other hand, is not always a piece of cake (especially when you resolved to give up cake). If you’re a little chagrined by your follow-through this year, fret not. You get another chance!
At GrowNYC, we believe in Summer Resolutions. There’s so much inspiration to be found at the Greenmarkets in the dog days of summer. Here are a few of our favorite Summer Resolutions:
- New Market Adventure: Visit a Greenmarket you’ve never been to before. There are 51 of them throughout NYC. You may just find your favorite new farmer!
- Take a Chance: Try a new (to you!) vegetable. Maybe it’s a tomatillo, a pattypan squash, or epazote—just something new. You could also experiment with a local grain from the Greenmarket Grainstand that you’ve never cooked with before. (Related hot tip: keep an eye out for naked barley).
- Gear Up for Winter: Connect with your inner squirrel and prepare for winter. All those beautiful fruits and vegetables at market now can be enjoyed year-round…with a little planning. Here are some tips for freezing, jamming, and pickling.
- Many Greenmarket farmers welcome visitors for wine tastings, apple picking, and tours - head out of town to visit them.
- Fertilizing Fervor: With more and more compost drop-off sites popping up all around the city, now’s the perfect time to make good on that vow to start composing. It’s like nature’s way of recycling, and it feels great.
This list could go on and on--Cook more fish! Make it Locally-Sourced Fish! Consistently Pack a Lunch!--but we’ve got just over 60 days of summer left. We hope you enjoy it!