Let's Talk & Eat Vegetables (in-person)
In-person presentations at older adult centers and community-based organizations, introduce local, seasonal fruits/vegetables/mushrooms. Included is a simple cooking/food prep demo and tasting sample. LT&EV can be presented as a single, one-time presentation or up to 4x/year (quarterly/seasonally).
- Each Let's & Eat Talk Vegetables meets the NYSOFA requirements for one nutrition education credit (total of 4 credits for presentations all 4 quarters) - See DFTA approval letter here.
Fresh and Local Market Tour (in-person)
Fresh and Local Market Tours introduce groups to Greenmarket farmers markets and offer an opportunity for Q&A with farmers in our region.
- Maximum group size: 15 participants.
- OAC: Fresh and Local Market Tour counts toward the requirement for nutrition education once per year. - See DFTA approval letter here.
- OAC & CBO groups: Greenmarket Bucks and/or Health Bucks will be distributed to tour participants at the end of the tour, while supplies last.
One Time Presentations (virtual or in-person)
GrowNYC offers one-time presentations introducing the work of GrowNYC to various audiences, such as Older Adult Centers, community-based groups, university groups, and others. Topics will be tailored to your audience and can explore local, seasonal foods; food access & benefits; shopping in farmers markets; healthy (easy) snack ideas; tips for food planning and stretching food money farther; and in-depth looks at specific fruits/vegetables in our region, from historical food pathways to food trivia. In-person presentations can include a cooking/food prep demo and food sampling.
Teaching Garden at Governors Island Tours (in-person)
Guided tours of the Teaching Garden at Governors Island are offered to groups from Older Adult Centers in the spring and fall. Please note:
- Maximum group size: 15 participants. (At least 2 staffers from the Older Adult Center must accompany the group. Additional staff are welcome.)
- The distance from the ferry to the garden is 3/4 mile. No transportation is available on Governors Island. Participants must be able to walk in both directions.
- Stores/food options are limited on the island. Participants should bring food and beverages.
- Tours are outdoors and weather permitting. Weather/temperatures on the island may be more extreme than other places in the city. Sunscreen and hats are recommended on sunny days. The ferry may be breezy.
Let's Talk Vegetables (virtual)
This subscription series explores seasonal vegetables (and fruits and herbs). Every other month (6x/year) online presentations are given to older adult centers and community-based organizations.
- Let's Talk Vegetables meets the NYSOFA requirements for one nutrition education credit - See DFTA approval letter here.
For more information on our activities above, including scheduling and pricing, please contact Susie Spodek: email@example.com
GrowNYC Videos for Older Adults
- GrowNYC's Distance Learning Page - blog for youth and adult education
- Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program – What is this and how to use this benefit
- Shopping with EBT, Strawberries, and Greenmarkets during COVID
- A visit to Marcus Garvey Tenant's Association Garden, Brownsville, Brooklyn featuring summer beverages – Spanish
- Juice & Smoothie Ideas at Brownsville Pitkin and Cypress Hills Farmstands - Spanish
- Local favorites at Brownsville Pitkin and Cypress Hills Farmstands – Spanish
- Meet Greenmarket Farmer Ana – Ana Angel of Angel Family Farm
- Summer Squash
- Spinach and Greenmarkets during COVID
- Gardening for Seniors