Our network of Greenmarket farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Farmer Assistance' Beginning Farmer Program identifies, educates, and supports aspiring farmers with agricultural experience to establish their own economically and environmentally sustainable farm businesses in the NYC region.
By helping the next generation of regional farmers to establish sustainable farm business, the Beginning Farmer Program (BFP) helps keep farmland in production and strengthens rural communities, farmers markets and the region’s food system as a whole. BFP farmers grow a range of unique products originating from around the world, and expand public access to high-quality, locally-grown farm products.
Project Facts and Milestones:
- More than 315 aspiring farmers have completed Farm Beginnings.
- 48 farmers and their families have started their own independent farm businesses with the support of Farmer Assistance.
- Graduate farmers sell a variety of vegetables, specialty herbs, pastured poultry, eggs, cut and potted flowers, honey, small fruits and plants at nearly 60 farmers markets throughout New York City, the Hudson Valley and New Jersey.
- Graduate farmers keep a total of 400 acres of farmland in production.
- 10 graduate farmers have purchased farmland, and collectively own 117 acres.
- 7 graduate farmers have long-term leases with landowners.
- 12 graduate farmers sell through 18 CSAs, providing approximately 1,100 individual shares.
- Graduate farmers are extremely effective at provinding access to fresh food, selling at 25 farmers markets and 18 CSAs.
Farmer Assistance Contact:
Dr. Gabriela Pereyra
Phone: 212-788-7900 x 288