Help Greenmarket go plastic-free by bringing your own bags while shopping in the markets. New Yorkers dispose of 9.37 billion carryout bags a year, most of which are not recycled. Made from petroleum, plastic bags are contributing to environmental degradation around the world, clogging our oceans, and are an enormous waste of money. Pledge to bring your bags when shopping at Greenmarkets and help us go plastic-free!
Tips for going plastic-free:
1. Take the GreeNYC Pledge to bring your own mugs, water bottles, shopping bags and receive a free mug, bottle, or bag to get you started.
2. Bring a variety of bags. One sturdy, large canvas bag and a few sizes of smaller reusable bags (canvas, mesh, cotton, ect).
3. If you plan on buying fish, bring a reusable container, like a glass container with a plastic cover. Bring a cooler, lunch bag to store frozen or fresh meat.
4. Buy loaves of bread and instead of taking paper bag/plastic bag, store bread in a cotton bag and slice at home.
5. Compost! Close the loop by collecting your food scraps and dropping them off at our compost sites at most Greenmarkets. Collect your food scraps in an airtight container or a paper bag. Store your food scraps in the freezer to avoid unwanted smells.
6. If you forget to BYOB, you can buy reusable produce bags at the Market Information Tent.
7. Reduce before you reuse or recycle. It costs money and energy to produce and recycle plastic bags.
8. Say no thank you if you are offered a plastic bag - you brought your tote so you don't need one!
9. Go #foamfree and quit using styrofoam for good. Learn more here.
Join us for these additional special events and activities to help celebrate the April Plastic Cleanse!
Bag Sales at all Greenmarkets
Canvas tote bags and reusable produce bags will be for sale at most Greenmarkets and availble online. Purchase a starter kit of 1 canvas tote and 4 reusable produce bags for just $15!
GreeNYC at Greenmarkets
April 3: Union Square Greenmarket
April 6: Brooklyn Borough Hall Greenmarket
Plastic Bag Buy Back!
April 8 & 15: Union Square Greenmarket
Return your clean/dry and non-biodegradable/compostable plastic bags and receive 5 cents per bag! Participants will participate in a short survey about recycling habits.