Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Help Greenmarket go plastic-free by bringing your own bags while shopping in the markets. New Yorkers dispose of more than 10 billion carryout bags a year, most of which are not recycled. Made from petroleum, plastic bags are contributing to environmental degradation around the world, clogging our oceans, and are an enormous waste of money. Pledge to bring your bags when shopping at Greenmarkets and help us go plastic-free!
Tips for going plastic-free:
1. Take the GreeNYC Pledge to bring your own mugs, water bottles, shopping bags and receive a free mug, bottle, or bag to get you started.
2. BYOBs! Bring your own reusable tote and produce bags while shopping at Greenmarkets. Don't forget to pack a big general tote bag and smaller bags and containers for individual items.
3. Carry a few extra reusable totes with you at all times.
4. If you forget to BYOB, you can buy reusable produce bags at the Market Information Tent.
5. Reduce before you reuse or recycle. It costs money and energy to produce and recycle plastic bags.
6. Say no thank you if you are offered a plastic bag - you brought your tote so you don't need one!
7. It's easier than ever to go #foamfree with NYC's foam ban in place.
Join us for these additional special events and activities to help celebrate the April Plastic Cleanse!
Bag Sales at all Greenmarkets
Canvas tote bags and reusable produce bags will be for sale at most Greenmarkets and availble online. Purchase a starter kit of 1 canvas tote and 4 reusable produce bags for just $15!