Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Tours this fall are for September 19th - December 2nd at any of our weekday Greenmarkets and are for students in grades K-12.
Please book early, as tour availability is limited. Tours will be confirmed by email.
If you would like to request a tour for spring, registration will open in March 2017. Please do not submit a request until that time.
Are you a teacher interested in helping your students gain a better understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods in a fun and interactive way? Then bring your students on a Greenmarket School Tour!
School Tours at Greenmarkets introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food and sustainable agriculture to over 6,000 students each year. Tour curricula are grade-level appropriate and involve an exploratory walk-through of the market, fun seasonal tastings of Greenmarket farmer products, and take-home activities and recipes. Our interactive outdoor tours allow children to discover the diverse varieties and delicious flavors of farm fresh food and explore the lively community created by farmers markets.Tours are available at any of our weekday Greenmarkets and last about 45-60 minutes.
- To request a tour, please fill out our online registration form. This form is to request a tour for Sept 19th to Dec 2nd. Tour availability is limited and will be confirmed by email.
- Once your booking has been made a reservation email with online payment details, program information, including date & time, will be sent to you.
- K-5th: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 5 children. Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.
- 6th grade and up: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children. Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.
- Each tour costs $42
- Payment is due in full by the date specified in your tour request email. If payment isn’t received by this time we’ll remove the HOLD on your requested date and can’t guarantee a future date.
- Credit Cards are preferred; checks accepted only upon email request.
- All cancellations must be made via email by 5:00pm on the evening prior to your scheduled tour. You will be offered the opportunity to reschedule for another date at the discretion of the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator. Payments for cancelled tours (that are not rescheduled due to weather) will be considered a donation to GrowNYC.
- All tours are conducted outside. Tours may be cancelled by Greenmarket in the case of inclement weather. If a tour is cancelled due to weather and cannot be rescheduled, payment will be refunded in full. Teachers will be contacted at the contact number provided the morning of your scheduled tour OR feel free to email the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator by 5pm the day prior to your tour in case weather is a foreseen issue.
Generally, tours are held rain or shine but may be cancelled by school officials or Greenmarket Youth Education for weather related reasons. Please encourage children to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
Due to a very full schedule, programs will not be extended for late-arriving groups beyond the scheduled end time. Staff will make every attempt to cover as much material as possible in the time available. Please obtain information on how to locate us in advance of your trip by reviewing the details in your confirmation email sent to you upon receipt of payment.
Please arrive on time! If you need to reschedule please email us, or if you are going to be a little late, text or call the phone number on your tour confirmation.
Farmers are hard working people. Please show your consideration for them by reminding your class that courtesy and politeness are expected at all times. Please advise your class to listen for instruction from the tour guide and not crowd market stands as it disrupts business.
Many items sold at Greenmarket require gentle handling. Children may not touch any items, including free samples, unless the farmer or tour guide gives them permission to do so. Always ask first.
Thanks to generous donations from Slow Food NYC and MetroPlus, schools with student bodies over 70% eligible for free lunch will receive a stipend of Greenmarket Bucks to shop with at the end of the tour. These Greenmarket Bucks are used to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, including food bearing plants, for the students to enjoy together as a class.