Our network of Greenmarket farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic and with social distancing measures still in place at our Greenmarkets, for the near future, we will not be hosting any onsite school tours. We will, however, be hosting Youth Education programming remotely and sharing resources on GrowNYC's Distance Learning Page.
If you are a teacher or parent interested in bringing your child or a small group to the Greenmarket, here are a few useful resources:
- Self guided tour
- Parts of the Plant - lesson and games
- Kid-friendly recipes
- Current COVID rules at GrowNYC sites
We are right in the middle of developing our remote programming and would appreciate your input so that we can provide content that is relevant for you and your students. Please fill out this survey to give us your feedback.
Are you a K-12 teacher interested in helping your students gain a better understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods in a fun and interactive way? Greenmarket school tours introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food and sustainable agriculture to over 5,000 students each year. Tours are grade-level appropriate and involve an exploratory walk through the market, a tasting of a seasonal product, and take-home activities and recipes. Our outdoor tours allow students to discover the incredible varieties and flavors of local food while taking part in the lively community of the market. Tours are available at any weekday Greenmarkets and last 45-60 minutes.
- Please visit this site in the spring to request a Greenmarket School Tour.
A reservation email with online payment details and program information, including date & time, will be sent to you with payment instructions.
Please be sure to arrange your school bus or alternate transportation. Here are pick up /drop off sites for all of our markets (scroll to lower half of site).
All students attending Greenmarket tours must have a signed waiver form which can be viewed here.
Spring 2020: Schools where more than 70% of students qualify for free lunch will receive a modest stipend of Greenmarket Bucks to shop with at the end of the tour. Greenmarket Bucks can be spent on fresh fruit and vegetables, including food bearing plants, for the students to enjoy together as a class. If your school does not qualify, you may purchase Greenmarket Bucks for your class (see below).
Optional: Purchase Greenmarket Bucks (GMB)* for your students.
*Greenmarket Bucks (GMB) Teachers now have the option of ordering Greenmarket Bucks (GMB) for their classes. GMBs are vouchers that can be used to buy fruits and vegetables from any Greenmarket producer. Each voucher is worth $2.00. By giving each student a GMB, you ensure that each child will have a couple of dollars to spend on healthy food at the end of their Greenmarket tour and no student will be left out. GMBs are an optional add-on to your program. Students are always welcome to bring cash to spend in the Greenmarket. Greenmarket educators will give the pre-ordered GMBs to teachers at the conclusion of the tour.
If you are interested in purchasing GMBs, please indicate that at the end of your on-line request form. You may purchase the amount of GMBs you want when you pay for your school tour.
(Please note, the purchase price of $2.30 includes a 15% service fee.)
Class Size (Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.)
- K-5th: Groups must provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 5 children.
- 6th grade and up: Groups must provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children.
- *Cost for tours for public/charter schools is $52; the cost for private/independent schools is $152.
- Payment is due in full by the date specified in your tour request email. If payment isn’t received by this time, your tour date will be cancelled, and a rescheduled date cannot be guaranteed.
- Credit Cards are preferred; checks and purchase order payments accepted only upon email request.
*GrowNYC recognizes that the cost of tours may be a hardship for some. If you feel that the cost is prohibitive for your group, please send us details. We have a very limited budget for free or reduced pricing.
- All cancellations must be made via email by noon on the day prior to your scheduled tour. You will be offered the opportunity to reschedule for another date at the discretion of the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator. Payments for cancelled tours that are not rescheduled will not be refunded. (The exception is tours canceled for weather, see below.)
- All tours are conducted outside. Tours may be cancelled by Greenmarket in the case of inclement weather. If a tour is cancelled due to weather and cannot be rescheduled, payment will be refunded in full. Teachers will be contacted at the contact number provided the morning of your scheduled tour OR feel free to email the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator by noon the day prior to your tour in case weather is a foreseen issue.
Generally, tours are held rain or shine but may be cancelled by school officials or Greenmarket Youth Education for weather related reasons. Please encourage children to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.