Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Are you a teacher interested in helping your students gain a better understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods in a fun and interactive way? Then bring your students on a Greenmarket School Tour! School Tours at Greenmarkets introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food and sustainable agriculture to over 6,000 students each year. Tour curricula are grade-level appropriate and involve an exploratory walk-through of the market, fun seasonal tastings of Greenmarket farmer products, and take-home activities and recipes. Our interactive outdoor tours allow children to discover the diverse varieties and delicious flavors of farm fresh food and explore the lively community created by farmers markets.Tours are available at any of our weekday Greenmarkets and last about 45-60 minutes.
- Visit this site to reserve a Greenmarket School Tour.
- Once your booking has been approved, a reservation email with online payment details, program information, including date & time, will be sent to you.
- If you are planning to arrive on a school bus, please make sure one is available. Here are pick up /drop off sites for all of our markets (scroll to lower half of site).
- K-5th: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 5 children. Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.
- 6th grade and up: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children. Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.
- Cost for each tour:
- $52 for Public and Charter schools
- $152 for Private and Independent Schools
- Payment is due in full by the date specified in your tour request email. If payment isn’t received by this time we’ll remove the HOLD on your requested date and can’t guarantee a future date.
- Credit Cards are preferred; checks and purchase order payments accepted only upon email request.
- All cancellations must be made via email by noon on the day prior to your scheduled tour. You will be offered the opportunity to reschedule for another date at the discretion of the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator. Payments for cancelled tours that are not rescheduled will not be refunded. (The exception is tours canceled for weather, see below.)
- All tours are conducted outside. Tours may be cancelled by Greenmarket in the case of inclement weather. If a tour is cancelled due to weather and cannot be rescheduled, payment will be refunded in full. Teachers will be contacted at the contact number provided the morning of your scheduled tour OR feel free to email the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator by noon the day prior to your tour in case weather is a foreseen issue.
Generally, tours are held rain or shine but may be cancelled by school officials or Greenmarket Youth Education for weather related reasons. Please encourage children to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
- Please arrive on time!
- In advance of your tour, review the confirmation email for details on where to meet your tour guide. If you need to reschedule please email us, or if you are going to be a little late, text or call the phone number on your tour confirmation. Due to a very full schedule, programs will not be extended for late-arriving groups beyond the scheduled end time. Staff will make every attempt to cover as much material as possible in the time available.
- Farmers are hard working people. Please show your consideration for them by reminding your class that courtesy and politeness are expected at all times. Please advise your class to listen for instruction from the tour guide and not crowd market stands, as it disrupts business.
- Many items sold at Greenmarket require gentle handling. Children may not touch any items, including free samples, unless the farmer or tour guide gives them permission to do so. Always ask first.
Thanks to generous donations from Slow Food NYC and other generous donors, schools with student bodies over 70% eligible for free lunch will receive a modest stipend of Greenmarket Bucks to shop with at the end of the tour. These Greenmarket Bucks and Health Bucks are used to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, including food bearing plants, for the students to enjoy together as a class.