Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Please note that we are almost fully booked. The only dates still available are July 8, August 12, 14, & 16. Any requests for other dates will be added to our waiting list in case of cancellations.
Greenmarket’s summer youth tours will be hosted only at the Union Square Greenmarket and will coincide with the market day on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We will hold one tour per day with one 1 ½ hour slot from 10:00 am to 11:30 am. We will only be able to accommodate a maximum group size of 20 youth per tour. K-5th grades require 1 chaperone for every 5 students while 6th -12th grades require 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students. The summer tour curricula are grade-level appropriate and include an exploratory walk-through of the market, fun seasonal tastings of Greenmarket farmer products, and a food activity in which each student will play an active role. Sign up for a 2019 Greenmarket summer tour here.
Are you a teacher interested in helping your students gain a better understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods in a fun and interactive way? Then bring your students on a Greenmarket School Tour! School Tours at Greenmarkets introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food and sustainable agriculture to over 6,000 students each year. Tour curricula are grade-level appropriate and involve an exploratory walk-through of the market, fun seasonal tastings of Greenmarket farmer products, and take-home activities and recipes. Our interactive outdoor tours allow children to discover the diverse varieties and delicious flavors of farm fresh food and explore the lively community created by farmers markets.Tours are available at any of our weekday Greenmarkets and last about 45-60 minutes.
- Click here to request a 2019 Greenmarket summer tour.
- A reservation email with online payment details and program information, including date & time, will be sent to you with payment instructions.
- Please be sure to arrange your school bus or alternate transportation. Here are pick up /drop off sites for all of our markets (scroll to lower half of site).
- New since fall 2018 - all students attending Greenmarket tours must have a signed waiver form which can be viewed here.
- New in 2019: Greenmarket Bucks (GMB)*
*Greenmarket Bucks (GMB) Teachers now have the option of ordering Greenmarket Bucks (GMB) for their classes. GMBs are vouchers that can be used to buy fruits and vegetables from any Greenmarket producer. Each voucher is worth $2.00. By giving each student a GMB, you ensure that each child will have a couple of dollars to spend on healthy food at the end of their Greenmarket tour and no student will be left out. GMBs are an optional add-on to your program. Students are always welcome to bring cash to spend in the Greenmarket. Greenmarket educators will give the pre-ordered GMBs to teachers at the conclusion of the tour.
If you are interested in purchasing GMBs, please indicate that at the end of your on-line request form. You may purchase the amount of GMBs you want when you pay for your school tour.
(Please note, the purchase price of $2.30 includes a 15% service fee.)
Class Size (Chaperones must remain with their group at all times.)
- K-5th: Groups must provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 5 children.
- 6th grade and up: Groups must provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children.
- Cost for each tour is $152*
- Payment is due in full by the date specified in your tour request email. If payment isn’t received by this time, your tour date will be cancelled, and a rescheduled date cannot be guaranteed.
- Credit Cards are preferred; checks and purchase order payments accepted only upon email request.
*GrowNYC recognizes that the cost of tours may be a hardship for some. If you feel that the cost is prohibitive for your group, please send us details. We have a very limited budget for free or reduced pricing.
- All cancellations must be made via email by noon on the day prior to your scheduled tour. You will be offered the opportunity to reschedule for another date at the discretion of the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator. Payments for cancelled tours that are not rescheduled will not be refunded. (The exception is tours canceled for weather, see below.)
- All tours are conducted outside. Tours may be cancelled by Greenmarket in the case of inclement weather. If a tour is cancelled due to weather and cannot be rescheduled, payment will be refunded in full. Teachers will be contacted at the contact number provided the morning of your scheduled tour OR feel free to email the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator by noon the day prior to your tour in case weather is a foreseen issue.
Generally, tours are held rain or shine but may be cancelled by school officials or Greenmarket Youth Education for weather related reasons. Please encourage children to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
Thanks to generous donations from Slow Food NYC and other generous donors, while supplies last, schools with student bodies over 70% eligible for free lunch will receive a modest stipend of Greenmarket Bucks to shop with at the end of the tour. These Greenmarket Bucks and Health Bucks are used to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, including food bearing plants, for the students to enjoy together as a class.