Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Registration for Spring School Tours will open on March 10, 2016 for tours starting on April 4th.
Please visit our website on Thursday, March 10th to request a guided tour at your local Greenmarket.
Are you a teacher interested in helping your students gain a better understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods in a fun and interactive way? Then bring your students on a Greenmarket School Tour!
School Tours at Greenmarkets introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food and sustainable agriculture to over 6,000 students each year. Tour curricula are grade-level appropriate and involve an exploratory walk-through of the market, fun seasonal tastings of Greenmarket farmer products, and take-home activities and recipes. Our interactive outdoor tours allow children to discover the diverse varieties and delicious flavors of farm fresh food and explore the lively community created by farmers markets.
Registration is closed for the winter. Registration for Spring School Tours starts on March 10, 2016 for tours that begin April 4th. Please check back to fill out the online registration at that time. Tour availability is limited and will be confirmed by email.
- Maximum class size is 32 students
- K-5th: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 5 children and chaperones must remain with their group at all times
- 6th grade and up: School & camp groups are required to provide a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 children & chaperones must remain with their group at all times.
- Payment is due in full by the date specified in your tour request email. If payment isn’t received by this time we’ll remove the HOLD on your requested date and can’t guarantee a future date.
- Credit Cards are preferred; checks accepted only upon email request.
- All cancellations must be made via email by 5:00pm on the evening prior to your scheduled tour. You will be offered the opportunity to reschedule for another date at the discretion of the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator. Payments for cancelled tours (that are not rescheduled due to weather) will be considered a donation to GrowNYC.
- All tours are conducted outside. Tours may be cancelled by Greenmarket in the case of inclement weather. If a tour is cancelled due to weather and cannot be rescheduled, payment will be refunded in full. Teachers will be contacted at the contact number provided the morning of your scheduled tour OR feel free to email the Greenmarket Youth Education Coordinator by 5pm the day prior to your tour in case weather is a foreseen issue.
Generally, tours are held rain or shine but may be cancelled by school officials or Greenmarket Youth Education for weather related reasons. Please encourage children to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
Due to a very full schedule, programs will not be extended for late-arriving groups beyond the scheduled end time. Staff will make every attempt to cover as much material as possible in the time available. Please obtain information on how to locate us in advance of your trip by reviewing the details in your confirmation email sent to you upon receipt of payment.
Please arrive on time! If you need to reschedule please email us, or if you are going to be a little late text or call the phone number on your tour confirmation.
Farmers are hard working people. Please show your consideration for them by reminding your class that courtesy and politeness are expected at all times. Please advise your class to listen for instruction from the tour guide and not crowd market stands as it disrupts business.
Many items sold at Greenmarket require gentle handling. Children may not touch any items, including free samples, unless the farmer or tour guide gives them permission to do so. Always ask first.