Our network of Greenmarket farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
If you are interested in learning more about FARMroots' Beginning Farmer Program please email Garbriela Pereyra firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications for the Farm Beginning course are open! Full schedule here.
You can apply here: http://bit.ly/FBCourse2019
FARMroots' Beginning Farmer Program identifies, educates, and supports aspiring farmers with agricultural experience to establish their own economically and environmentally sustainable farm businesses in the NYC region.
By training the next generation of regional farmers, the FBFP helps keep farmland in production and strengthens rural communities, farmers markets and the region’s food system as a whole. FBFP farmers grow a range of unique products originating from around the world, and expand public access to high-quality, locally-grown farm products.
The BFBP (formerly the New Farmer Development Project) was created in 2000 as a partnership between Greenmarket and Cornell Cooperative Extension's NYC Program. The project is based in New York City and supports new farmers witin the city, New York's Hudson Valley & Catskill Regions, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania.
Project Facts and Milestones:
- More than 315 aspiring farmers have completed Farm Beginnings.
- 48 farmers and their families have started their own independent farm businesses with the support of FARMroots.
- Graduate farmers sell a variety of vegetables, specialty herbs, pastured poultry, eggs, cut and potted flowers, honey, small fruits and plants at nearly 60 farmers markets throughout New York City and the Hudson Valley.
- Graduate farmers keep a total of 400 acres of farmland in production.
- 9 graduate farmers have purchased farmland, and collectively own 95 acres.
- 6 graduate farmers have long-term leases with landowners.
- 10 graduate farmers sell through 18 CSAs city-wide, providing approximately 1,100 individual shares.
- Graduate farmers are extremely effective at reaching low-income customers, selling at 23 farmers markets and 10 CSAs in low-income neighborhoods.
Phone: 212-788-7900 x 288