Work at GrowNYC Food Access and Food Scrap Drop-off Sites!
Are you passionate about food access, local agriculture & food systems, and/or mitigating climate change through waste reduction and composting?
GrowNYC is currently hiring field staff for immediate start to work at Greenmarkets, Farmstands, and Food Scrap Drop-off Sites.
We have multiple openings for immediate start, especially in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
See below for more info on each position and click each job title to view the detailed job description.
Compost Coordinator & Compost Coordinator - Bronx & Bilingual Spanish $19/hour (part-time)
Compost Coordinators are responsible for collecting food scraps and conducting outreach each week at their assigned FSDOs. They promote food-scrap diversion for composting as an alternative to conventional waste disposal and educate NYC residents on a wide variety of waste reduction and landfill diversion topics.
Compost Driver $26/hour (part-time)
Compost Drivers are responsible for the hauling and delivery of food scraps and supplies between food scrap drop-off sites and local compost processing facilities. Qualified candidates combine a passion for waste reduction and landfill diversion with the practical skills needed to transport food scraps through NYC.
Seasonal Market Manager $19/hour (part-time and full-time)
Market Managers are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable. The Market Manager position is seasonal and is comprised of three equally important pillars – operations, promotions, and food access.
Seasonal Farmstand Site Staff $19 or $20/hour (part-time)
The Farmstand Staff will help sell fruits, vegetables, and other products outdoors throughout New York City under the supervision of the Farmstand Site Lead (rotating position.) The Farmstand Staff will be cross trained on all aspects of the Farmstand Site Lead role,and may be asked to fill in as the Lead as necessary. Please note that some Site Lead locations require driving and therefore a drivers license. The Farmstand Staff position is seasonal and is part-time or full-time depending on availability of applicant.
Click here to view all job openings and apply now!
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
GrowNYC is a 52-year-old environmental nonprofit organization helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and food distribution hub ensure that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like food scrap and clothing collections to make waste reduction, recycling, and composting easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
- We are looking for early-risers who can work outside in various weather conditions and lift heavy equipment.
- Age 18+
- Available May - November, including weekend days
Additional Skills Valued (but not required):
- Proficient in languages other than English
- Valid New York State Drivers license and an interest in driving in NYC