Our network of farmers markets, Youthmarkets, Fresh Food Box pick-ups, and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Live at NYCHA and love your community? Help keep it clean and green by becoming an Environmental Ambassador!
Environmental Ambassadors are NYCHA residents who are trained by GrowNYC to become community recycling experts. After completing 2 recycling workshops, Environmental Ambassadors conduct 12 hours of local outreach at their development to encourage their neighbors to participate in the NYCHA Recycles! program.
Environmental Ambassadors help to make a positive change where they live. Participants must be 18 years of age or older, and currently reside at a NYCHA development.
Volunteers must attend two 2-hour workshops and complete 12 hours of community outreach.
Training & Support
GrowNYC will host interactive workshops to teach you what and why to recycle, and prepare you for engaging interactions with neighbors. GrowNYC will provide ongoing coaching and support to connect Environmental Ambassador volunteers with opportunities to complete service hours and make a difference at their developments.
There are many benefits to you when you get involved, including:
- Adding experience to your resume, and making your community a nicer place to live
- Field trips that take you behind the scenes of New York City’s recycling infrastructure
- Special Environmental Ambassadors gear
- A gift bag and a chance to win other prizes such as apparel from Patagonia
- Community service credit hours
- Connections with local leaders and grassroots community groups
- Environmental Ambassador certificate signed by NYCHA Chair and the DSNY Commissioner upon completion of 12 volunteer hours
Contact GrowNYC’s zero waste programs funded by the NYC Department of Sanitation at 212-788-7964 or firstname.lastname@example.org.